I love birthdays. Some people hide from their birthdays, but not me. I’m a pig in mud when it’s my birthday and everyone around me KNOWS it’s my day.
Besides, birthdays mean cake. Mmmm, cake.
I’ve managed to roam the earth for 47 years now and for most of that time, the gym has kept me on the straight and narrow. If it wasn’t for the gym, I wouldn’t have a career, attention from the opposite sex or biceps.
Here are 25 (because I wish I was 25) of my random observations of gym, life, love and Chuck Norris.
Blowing out 47 candles is hard work. Growing old isn’t for sissies.
- Exercise is something we get to do. That guy in the wheel chair would love to do squats.
- You will walk out the gym a more disciplined human being.
- Lifting weights lifts your mood. In a shitty mood? Go to the gym and workout.
- The gym is a place to de-stress, throw some weight, and get better every day. It’s a great place to improve the mind, body, and soul.
- If you’re training just to look good, you’re missing the point. Find one deeper reason to keep the fires stoked.
- There are three areas where you cannot be strong enough: Core, upper back, and grip. Often, one of these three areas will be your limiting factor. Carrying around some heavy weight fixes this.
- When it comes to fitness, many different paths will take you to the same destination. Choose the fun path.
- Is it normal for a 47-year-old man to be obsessed with Chuck Norris?
- Coffee is the best pre-workout boost around and I never leave home without it.
- If you want to get strong, master the deadlift. I love to deadlift.
- If you want to get bigger and stronger, master the squat. It’s the best cure for chicken legs ever invented.
- When you’re at the gym, you’re surrounded by like-minded people whose focus is to get better. It can’t help but rub off on you.
- It’s much easier to be kind rather than nasty.
- Take advantage of the good days and grind through the bad ones.
- Treat every repetition in the gym like your one rep max. You’ll get hurt far less and stay stronger, longer.
- Exercising through pain is never a good idea. Please get it checked out pronto.
- In the world of fitness, if sounds too good to be true, it’s usually bullshit.
- Make exercise fit into your schedule.
- Personal training is one of the best jobs in the world because trainers get to wear tracksuit pants.
- Most of your training should be spent squatting, pressing, pulling, hinging and carrying something heavy. There are endless variations and sets and reps schemes that should keep things interesting for the rest of your training career.
- The gym is a place that can transform you into a bigger, stronger and healthier version of yourself. What other place does all this?
- Walking is a fantastic recovery tool and a great way to de-stress after a long day.
- A smile can change your mood instantly. Come on, show those pearly whites
- Exercise doesn’t stop once you leave the gym. The world is your playground.
- Move, smile and be kind every day and good things will happen. It won’t happen overnight but it will happen.
Congratulations, you made it the end.
If you haven’t exercised today, what are you waiting for? And while you’re at it, bring me some cake.