I love birthdays. Some people run and hide from their birthdays and lie about their age, but not me. I’m like a pig in mud, rolling around as happy as Larry (or a pig) when it’s my birthday.
When it’s my day, (which it is tomorrow) everyone around knows about it and besides, birthdays mean cake. Mmmm, cake.
I’ve managed to roam the earth for 48 years now and for most of that time, the gym has kept me on the straight and narrow. If it wasn’t for the gym, I wouldn’t have a career, a wife and kids or biceps.
Here are a few of my random observations of gym, life, love and Chuck Norris.
Blowing out 48 candles is hard work. It’s my version of cardio before I eat the cake guilt free.
1.Exercise is something we get to do and don’t have to do. That guy in the wheel chair would love do do squats.
2. You will walk out the gym a stronger human being.
3. Lifting weights lifts your mood. In a shitty mood? Don’t kick the cat, go to the gym and workout instead.
4. The gym is a place to de-stress, throw some weight, and get better every day. It’s a great place to improve the mind, body, and soul.
5. If you’re training just to look good, you’re really missing the point. Find one deeper reason to keep the fires stoked. Mine? To keep up with my kids and to be a better role model.
6. There are three areas where you cannot be strong enough: Core, upper back, and grip. Often, one of these three areas will be your limiting factor. Carrying around some heavy weight fixes all this.
7. When it comes to fitness, many different paths will take you to the same destination. Choose the fun path even if it’s Zumba.
8. Is it normal for a 48-year-old man to be obsessed with Chuck Norris? Yes, yes it is.
9. Coffee is the best pre-workout boost around and I never leave home without it. Neither should you.
10. If you want to get strong, master the deadlift. I love to deadlift.
11. If you want to get bigger and stronger, master the squat. It’s the best cure for chicken legs ever invented. It’s the only reason I still do it.
12. When you’re at the gym, you’re surrounded by like-minded people whose focus is to get better. It can’t help but rub off on you.
13. It’s much easier to be kind rather than nasty.
14. Take advantage of the good days and grind through the bad ones. Coffee always helps.
15. Treat every repetition in the gym like your one rep max. You’ll get hurt far less and stay stronger, longer.
16. Exercising through pain is never a good idea. Please get it checked out pronto. I’ve made this mistake before and paid a heavy price.
17. In the world of fitness, if sounds too good to be true, it’s usually bullshit. Shake weight anybody?
18. Make your exercise fit into your schedule.
19. Personal training is one of the best jobs in the world because trainers get to wear comfortable pants and tell people what to do.
20. Most of your training should be spent squatting, pressing, pulling, hinging and carrying something heavy. There are endless variations and sets and reps schemes that should keep things interesting for the rest of your training career.
21. The gym is a place that can transform you into a bigger, stronger and healthier version of yourself. What other place offers all this?
22. Walking is a fantastic recovery tool and a great way to de-stress after a long day.
23. A smile can change your mood instantly. Come on, show those pearly whites
24. Exercise doesn’t stop once you leave the gym. The world is your playground. Go out and explore.
25. You know that guy who exposes himself at the gym to see his abs? Dude, we all see you.
26. You know that guy who grunts to loud at the gym? Please don’t be that guy.
27. The more tension you create when you LIFT, the stronger you are. Stronger is always better. Hold that dumbbell tighter, squeeze the muscles of your behind harder or brace your abdominals like your about to get punched.
28. Diets don’t work. There is no beginning and end to being fit and healthy. Just start by eliminating one bad habit or implementing one good habit.
Congratulations, you made it the end. You must be hungry. Go get some cake and while you’re at it, bring me some too.
If you haven’t exercised today, what are you waiting for? Go ahead and move, smile and crush it.